10.14.2012

FURTHER

I finished Scott Jurek's book, Eat and Run, last week. Jurek is well-known in the world of distance running, having won the Western States Endurance Run--a one hundred mile race through the mountains and wilderness of California--seven consecutive times. And that is just one of the many pieces of evidence for his ranking as an ultrarunning legend. He has won multiple times and holds records in the world's toughest and most demanding ultrarunning events. Hopefully, you have heard of him. If not, I am nearly certain you have by now heard of a landmark book called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, which introduced the world to a reclusive tribe of indigenous people who inhabit the remote Copper Canyon in Mexico and are renowned (now) for their ability to run seemingly effortless for long distances. Very long distances. McDougall's book also, of course, sparked much conversation about the concept of barefoot running and may even be credited in part for the latest marketing ploy by shoe companies to develop so-called minimalist footwear. Jurek is featured prominently in McDougall's book and for that reason has come to know an even greater amount of fame in the last few years.

As if his running accomplishments were not enough, though, he has been for the better part of his career a vegan. Jurek's life and his book are ample evidence to all the naysayers and skeptics and myth followers out there that a finely tuned and highly successful athlete can, in fact, compete at such a level while living on a plant based diet. Yes, plant centered eating can give you all the balanced nutrition you need and--get this--more. Yes, there are ways to get ample amounts of things like protein and iron on such a diet. Imagine this: our planet has been equipped to provide us with plentiful nutrition on which to live and thrive far longer than our completely counter-intuitive American diet has been around. 

I have welcomed over the last few years and have learned a great deal from the widening conversation about food in this country. Three eye-opening books for me have been Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live, Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals, and Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. People are beginning to ask questions about what they are putting into their bodies. And for good reason, I believe. I have shaken my head at the recent news stories about the uproar from kids and parents about the new nutritional standards for public school lunches. Do not give me that argument about a so-called "nanny state." If public school lunches are going to be subsidized by tax payer dollars, then we have every right to expect them to be of the highest nutritional quality. We have every obligation as a society to make sure our kids eat balanced, healthful meals. In some of the articles there were high school kids complaining about being hungry and not getting enough to eat from the new school lunches. Do you know what the maximum calorie allowance is for high school lunches under the guidelines? 850 calories. Without even knowing it, I am certain that many of those kids consume that many calories per day on sodas alone. It would not take many twenty ounce bottles to hit that number. And therein lies the crux of this issue. Americans have no perspective about the amount of calories they consume. But, it is not simply about a number of calories. It is about eating things that are fresh, colorful, grown and not processed, not packed full of antibiotics and hormones, and not shipped from one end of the country to the other. At the very least, we should educate ourselves. We are, after all, given only one life and one body in which to live it. If you ask me, it comes down to simple common sense.

I also, of course, enjoyed Jurek's book for the stories of his running exploits. I have a difficult time explaining to non-runners why I am out there nearly everyday, pounding out the miles. They think of running as some sort of punishment and some people are even afraid of it. I cannot begin to tell you how many people have told me I am ruining my knees. I have news for them. My knees and every other joint in my body are stronger than theirs and, I would wager, are certain to last much longer. My heart also works less and pumps more blood and oxygen through veins that are stronger and clearer. I sleep better. I do not get sick as much. And, best of all, I reach a state of pure mental bliss regularly. Without illegal or, for that matter, legal stimulants. I have said it before. We humans were made to run.

More importantly, though, Jurek gave the best explanation I have ever heard or read for why he pushes himself and his body to absolute extremes. You simply have no idea what you are capable of until you ask it of yourself. And that goes for most anything. There is something important to be said about setting for yourself a goal, staying disciplined and focused in your work toward it, and then accomplishing it. And, there is something difficult to put into words about the power of going as far as you think you can physically and then finding that deeper, mysterious thing that takes you a little further. 


No comments:

Post a Comment